BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Perspective

As some of you may know, the company I am working for is going under. For many complex reasons, I will be effectively unemployed as of Oct. 15th. On the one hand, it’s nice to have so much notice. On the other hand, it’s bad news no matter how you slice it. On top of that our lease expires at the end of October. If we stay, our rent goes up. We’re already at the cap of what we’re willing to pay for a 2 bedroom so we’ve got to move. And finally our car is acting up and all indications are that the transmission is going out.

So what next? How does one wade through such waters? Of course there are the “Christian” answers “Everything works out for the best.” “Just trust God and you’ll be okay.” “Maybe this is God trying to tell you something.” Makes you want to scream.

But the reality is that perspective can be gained through such trying circumstances. The truth is that God is always teaching us something. And the fact is that following God means things will work out okay. So what have I learned so far?

First things first. My situation does not in any way diminish the glory of God. My purpose is still to worship and bring Him honor. My next responsibility is to the spiritual, emotional, and physical health of my family. Nearly all of which is accomplished without a job. Secondly this situation is nothing compared to the day-to-day struggles of so many others. No matter what happens, we will not go hungry, we will not go without a place to live, we will not go long without a job – if at all. We will somehow find transportation to and from work. Millions of others are not so fortunate. All the same I finally mean it when I thank God for my dinner.

God has been the one providing for us all this time. He has chosen to do so through this job and now He is choosing to do so through other means. Not much has changed really. I’m just worrying about it more.

Funny how that happens.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Josh,

I am sorry to hear about your pending potential job predicament. As you well know, I have been in this position before!

We should connect via phone. Not only do I want to know more about the situation, but I have a favor to ask of you.

Josh said...

I'll be home all night tonight. Feel free to call. I'll be in and out the rest of the weekend.