BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 10, 2007

King of the Jews

Warning: The following content can and will be misquoted should I ever run for public office. Reader discretion is advised.

Pascal’s Penses has been a very enjoyable read thus far . Some thoughts I agree with, others I do not, and still others are indiscernible without the proper context. However, the quote below is quite clear with or without context. Comment number 759 (102 in the Penguin Classic) reads, “Either Jews or Christians must be wicked.”

Wow. The statement hits you like a bucket of cold water. How could anyone be so misguided as to have made such a bold statement? Though I believe that most Christians this side of Mel Gibson would balk at such a statement, I do believe we still have some growing to do in this area.

Though the New Testament makes it abundantly clear that no one comes to the Father but through Christ (Jn 14:6); we must never forget that it is WE who are being grafted in to THEIR inheritance (Rom. 11:24) – not the other way around. God began his redemptive work through Abraham and his descendants and brought it to fulfillment in Christ. We are a part of THEIR story. They are God’s chosen people and through Christ (a Jew – even King of the Jews) we are adopted into that family.

Rather unfortunately, we as a church have largely forgotten our family of origin. And without these forefathers and cloud of witnesses (Heb. 12:1) to teach us, we have lost much of our understanding of our Heavenly Father. The respect and awe of an untamable God is nearly nonexistent today. The respect for the rhythms of life: the seasons, the festivals, and the times of remembrance are all but gone. Using symbolism, tradition, and holy days to intentionally train your child in the ways of the Lord has faded into the shadows.

What a high price we are paying in the name of being “Christian.” It seems to me that Pascal needs revision. BOTH Jews and Christians are wicked. We stand together in dire need of God’s grace.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, Well done. Your thoughts on Pascal's comment in Pensees are thoughtful and well stated. I think you're a first-rate writer.

I've been thinking along these lines recently, as I have finally, after 30 years of reading the Bible, discovered the several New Testament descriptions of how important the celebration (and not just the reading of Hebrew Scriptures) of the works of God in and through the Israelites, as a way of encountering God in our lives today, as Gentile Christians who have been adopted into the same legacy and inheritance. One of the very ministry beginning acts of Christ, which continued his lifelong habit, included the habit of going to synagogue on the sabbath to read the Hebrew Scriptures. That he had, through his pre-ministry life, and would through his ministry, celebrate the Hebrew rites at the Temple, as a way of honoring what God had done for His people, is also significant to me. The Christians seem to have followed that pattern in the account in Acts, and we have strong records to indicate that the disciples of the apostles, and their subsequent disciples, in the early centuries, did the same. I have also discovered Psalms recently, after 30 years of Bible reading, and realize that they are, while also prophetic, worshipful through recollection of what God did through our spiritual predecessors, in fact, our community outside time, the chosen people of God - the Jews, and that we need God's mercy and grace as they needed it in the wilderness, and at every point where God carried out His plan through and for them. That God never changes has been a comfort to me, but it also helps me to realize that He has, and will, keep His promise to His children, the people of Israel, past, present and future.

Jon said...

Nice work. I thought Pensees was awesome, as I have oft told you. Unfortunately, as I recall from history, hating the Jews was a Christian pasttime back in the day. Even Luther was less than fond of them.

I agree with you, then, that Pascal is in error on this one, but let us not extrapolate that he was the only one who thought in this way at the time. The church as a whole was pretty much screwed up about the Jews. (Pascal also hated the Pope and Jesuits, as you know, which I think make for some pretty amusing tidbits in his book!)

I wonder what our brothers and sisters 400 years from now will think we were screwed up about?

I await your response with baited breath. Or was that breath that smells like bait? Oh, well...

Pat Jenkins said...

i have a thought or question for you triggered by your "God began his redemptive work through abraham and his descendents and brought it to fulfillment in Christ" line. when the nation of israel recognizes jesus as the Christ, if ever? could this signify his moment of return. the redemptive process has been fulfilled, yes or no? i look forward to your further posts!!

Danny Wright said...

He did get it half right. It would have been much easier for him to say, man is wicked, don't you think? Of course that would imply that man needs a redeemer, and we can't have that!

Josh said...

Pat,

Great question. You do make a great point that God's redemptive work has not yet been fulfilled and thus my statement does need revision. I'm personally hesitant to state plainly that any one event will signal the moment of Christ's return. Paul seems to indicate that the day will come in one form or another that the Jewish community will be redeemed; however, he doesn't seem to correlate that with the end times. So I don't feel like I have a firm opinion. I guess that would be one of many signs to look for. Thanks for posting such great thoughts. I look forward to future exchanges.

Josh said...

Danny,

Ah the gift of sarcasm. Welcome to the blog.

Josh said...

Jon,

Thanks for the free advertising! I'm really enjoying the extra give and take converstations!

Livingsword said...

Hi Josh I’m a victim of Jon’s advertising (just joking I’m not a victim). I want to welcome you to the world of blogging. We can always use some more brothers and sisters in this cyber world; it surly is a place in dire need of more salt and light.

Since Jon promoted your blog on his blog and created a link to it, proper etiquette dictates that you would probably like to do the same thing in return.

I would also gladly link with you if you want to exchange links. Just let me know.

Josh said...

Sure, I'd love to exchange links. Feel free to post mine. I look foward to receiving yours. I will also plug Jon's as well.