BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Scum

So you would think that after answering 9-1-1 calls all day I would simply turn off the news, turn off the radio, and shut myself off to the world and forget all of its ugliness. But I found myself driving home the other day listening to yet another story of evil and corruption in the world. This one really caught my attention though.

The story was about a public official who really got himself into hot water. This guy’s political career begins to unravel when he gets word that his son has raped his daughter (ie brother raped sisister). Rather than try to assist authorities in bringing justice, he tries to keep it on the DL. That is until one of his other sons can’t take it anymore and kills his brother.

Now with one dead rapist for a son and another son in hiding, he again tries to ignore the situation to preserve his public image. After a while his son (the murderer) starts a smear campaign that basically ousts his father from office.

In an act of revenge, the father’s “friends” go out and kill his son. Now if you are starting to take pity on this guy now that two sons are dead and his daughter suffering from being raped, wait till you find out what a shining example of manhood this guy set for his children.

Long before any of this took place, he had an affair with a married woman. She got pregnant so he tried to cover it up. When that was unsuccessful, he murdered her husband and married her to make it look like a legitimate child.

So what’s the name of this scum bag? King David.

Just when I thought the world couldn’t get any worse, God points out that in reality it’s worse than I’ll ever know. Even the heroes of my childhood Sunday School classes are rapists and murderers.

On what planet are men like that heroes? In what Universe should I set up these figures as examples for my children? Heck, I don’t even want to tell my children these stories. A 5 and 3 year old don’t need to know about rape and murder.

But they do need to know about grace. They need to know that no matter what, God’s grace can and will save. If not for that, we have nothing. And without grace, we have absolutely no hope for a broken world. And should they learn nothing else in life, I pray that that message takes firm roots and goes to the core of their being.

0 comments: